Thursday, January 19, 2012

AMERICAN DREAM A DELUSION

POVERTY THE AMERICAN DELUSION
I've never been hungry, without a bed or roof over head. I'm now retired, and children are all grown, so I write and act to supplement my income. During all of my working life I've never been out of work long enough to exhaust compensation. I have skills that have and will always enable me to feed and house myself. But I've been close enough to poverty to know its despair, its pain, its hopelessness – to know that poverty doesn't come in colors, to discover that it has no compassion for a child or an elder person. Poverty is here in America. We may choose not to see it but it is here among us; and poverty is the insidious infection which will corrupt the health of all Americans – our enemies aren’t who will kill the American dream, it's our own poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment