Sunday, November 11, 2012

A SOUL ON FIRE

Charles Reese is the editor and lead performer is a one act play by Howard B. Simon, title A SOUL ON FIRE. The play, as I see it, is a tribute to James Baldwin – the man and the writer. On Saturday afternoon I found myself in an actual court room at the Mayme Clayton Library & Museum. At opening, Charles morphed himself into Baldwin and seamlessly lived a bit of his life before returning to Charles. Carol Christine Hilaria (CCH) Pounder acted as host for the two hour program – first asking Charles how he came to be so passionate about Baldwin and his work; she then brought the audience into the conversation for a Q&A. a personal note to you cch – my brain didn't remember who you are until on the 405 going home, almost lost it, sorry. The whole experience was wrapped in audio-visuals of Baldwin, scenes from a past full production, and the live enchanting sounds of African music. I love story and this program reminded why. I too have a passion for James Baldwin the man and his literary contributions – one in particular: THE AMEN CORNER. It was my very first professional production. It was directed by Gerald Wallace, an innovator of theatre in the city of Milwaukee, and artistic director of the People's Theatre. To make the experience even more memorable I was the husband of Margaret, the center character of the story, played by non-other than Claudia McNeil. Wallace like Baldwin like McNeil is no longer alive – but not a day goes by that they're not somewhere in my brain. www.adolphusward.net. https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/adolphusaward

No comments:

Post a Comment