Wednesday, April 27, 2016

WHAT WHITE RACISM IS - a republish

Repost: THOUGHTS ON THEATRE AND REVELATION I took time last night to be at the Fountain Theatre. The symphony in words is titled CITIZEN by Claudia Rankine, adapted for stage by Stephen Sachs, and conducted by the skilled craft-woman Shirley Jo Finney. The synergistic energy of the cast gave CITIZEN its life’s blood – its pulse and rhythms. To say I love theatre is an understatement. When I’m in a theatre witnessing first hand the living of life I feel privileged and inspired. Sometimes, not always but, sometimes before the musicians take their bows I have a revelation – I have a tangible something I did not have when I came in. I have, for some time now, been trying to give racism a name and body that plainly states its nature. CITIZEN provided the impetus for this revelation. The revelation came slow and in pieces, not all at once. I started with, RA CI SM IS, then added A, then decide I had to give racism an owner, so I added WHITE. I put that together and had, WHITE RACISM IS A, a what? This part was revealed slowly: SE RI AL KIL LER. This killer is pampered and protected by rich powerful white men; he is a celebrity in every American institution – bar none. He does his blood work honestly and with impunity. He is American as any of us; but he is also a racist – WHITE RACISM IS A SERIAL KILLER!!! http://www.amazon.com/author/adolphusward http://www.adolphusward.net

No comments:

Post a Comment