Sunday, October 7, 2012

THIS FAMILY

THIS FAMILY Sunday has, for many years, been the day I focus my thinking on the week past and make some assessment of what I did or didn't do and the outcome of that effort. In years past I would go out for breakfast with the woman in my life or a friend, or just me, and follow that with a trip to an art gallery, museum, play, movie, or a run or walk along the shore of Lake Michigan. Given my reluctant austerity of a woman and money I have breakfast at home and think. Since I write the rest of the week I avoid doing it on Sunday – this is an exception. Today I'm thinking about this family. This family is really my family bound by blood, contract, or commitment. We have those among us who are smart and those who are dumb – fortunately there are fewer dumb-ones. We have those who believe in a God and those who don't – I don't. Some of us have degrees, most don't – those with degrees tend to live better than those without. We have teachers, preachers, pimps, prostitutes, lesbians, gays, bisexuals and those in between, one murderer, one cop, a psychologist, writers, actors, muscians, visual artist, visionaries, deadbeats, and some others yet to be defined. One can be sure that each member of this (my) family is a little insane – perhaps, at times, a little more than a little. Our redeeming quality is that we love each other – at times we fight but we never stop love. But woe be unto the fool who tries to hurt or destroy any one of us. When a stranger comes to us with love and friendship we can and will return it fourfold. https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/adolphusaward

No comments:

Post a Comment