Tuesday, July 15, 2014

NEARSIGHTEDNESS OF BEHAVIOR

SHARING WHY I WRITE BOOKS - 3 Myopia, I’m told, is a condition of the eye. A person with the condition sees things that are closer to them quite clearly but have trouble seeing things that are not – this eye-state is called Nearsighted. I recently read an article that reported an increase in nearsightedness among certain age groups. My writer-brain fired up and I began to wonder if the physical manifestations of nearsightedness also had a psychological twin in the behavior of people. Are some people capable of seeing, feeling, tasting, smelling, and hearing only those things they like; do they knowingly avoid anything they don’t like? Can people so condition themselves that it becomes impossible to accept any truth outside the shortsightedness of their own senses? I think we, you – the reader and I, can accept the fact that there is no complete agreement between any two individuals – let alone two groups of individuals. A person or group of persons will often define themselves by exclusion – that is, there’s Me or Us, and Them. The Them is not only thought of as different but also quite possibly bad: maybe emphatically bad. Some individuals and groups go so far as to demonize other individuals and groups who are different. www.adolphusward.net

No comments:

Post a Comment