Tuesday, July 8, 2014

WHY I WRITE BOOKS - 2

SHARING MY THOUGHTS why I write books – 2 For as long as I can remember I’ve been curious as to why I do what I do – why others do what they do. The simple answer is because I want to do it, or feel I have to. I think the same is true for others; but my questions didn’t stop there. I’ve come to the conclusion that conflict pushes us toward the choice we make. Conflict doesn’t make the choice for us – it manipulates that choice. I know that some of my behavior has created conflict in my life and the lives of others. I am certain that the action of others has brought conflict into my life. Not all behavior grows out of conflict but it is present in much of what we do. Jim Crow Laws of the south – and the more subtle forms of those laws in the north – were designed to limit the rights of Black People by controlling their behavior. Black People couldn’t hold jobs paying more money or be more important than jobs held by White People, couldn’t vote, couldn’t share public spaces with White People, couldn’t use the courts to defend their rights, couldn’t live in white communities, or couldn’t receive an education along with Whites. These laws brought conflict into the lives of Black People – the consequences of those laws are still with us. www.adolphusward.net

No comments:

Post a Comment