Wednesday, April 22, 2015

ACTORS' EQUITY COUNCIL ON 99 ALTERNATIVES

EQUITY COUNCIL ON 99 ALTERNATIVES I have the capacity to reel out a lot of rhetoric about why I voted YES on the referendum and why I fully support the Council’s decision now. I prefer, however, to cut through the hyperbole and get to the heart of the matter as I’m experiencing it. The reality of LA’s 99 Seat Theatre is that actors are its life blood – many of the actors are Equity Members; that reality presently compensates Equity Actors by allowing them to work just for the love of doing the work; that reality would have continued to exclude actors from any money consideration if it were not for Equity Council entering that reality with a process for 99 Seaters to Pay Equity members. Like many union actors, I do not get enough work to pay for all of my living expenses. So for me, receiving some money for all the work I do is vitally important – I don’t just work for the love of doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment