Sunday, April 26, 2015

ACTORS' EQUITY MENDING NOT BUSTING

AEA COUNCIL MENDING NOT BUSTING ITSELF As usual I make no pretense about speaking for anyone other than myself. Where I respect opposing views and viewers I am not easily moved from my position. Let me set out the bases for my YES VOTE. The apparent division among Equity members is created by circumstances that have had thirty years to mature. Many Equity members have strong and binding relationships with Producers – some producers are Equity members. I see Producers as the business part of theatre. It should be understandable that a producer’s primary interest is not the same as Equity’s primary interest. What Equity Council’s position has done is fracture the relationship between its members and the producers of theatre. Members who are bound to Producers feel the same pain producers feel and respond by siding with the NO VOTES of producers – it’s an understandable reaction; but one that will not benefit Equity members in the long run. As an actor I think 99 Seat Producers must and will continue to play their important role in the life of theatre here in the LA area. As an Equity member I will always support my union when it moves to protect my wellbeing as a professional actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment