Sunday, April 23, 2017

THOUGHTS ABOUT CONGRESSMAN BRAD SHERMAN'S TOWN HALL

THOUGHTS ABOUT CONGRESSMAN SHERMAN’S TOWN HALL – democracy is alive and politically awake here in Reseda, California Saturday 22 April 2017 2 pm to 4 pm was the date and time of this meeting; Reseda High School Auditorium was the venue. The auditorium is said to be one of the largest public venues in the San Fernando Valley. Reseda High School is within walking distance of my apartment, so I arrived about 1:30. A huge crowd had already gathered waiting for the doors to open; once the doors opened the auditorium quickly filled to its capacity. A colors guard marched in bearing our nation and state’s flags; all stood and recited the pledge of allegiance. I couldn’t forget the pledge even if I tried. However, as an atheist I don’t repeat the, “under God” phrase – I go silent for those words. My respect for our flag and love for our country does not come from the lies I was indoctrinated with in grade school but is self-imbued with the toil and sweat of my parents and the black lives and limbs lost in defense of our nation and its ideals: imbued by the thought of those black people still relegated to the butt hole of America and the world. Black people have labored and died too many for too long to give up our earned birthright, the right for reparations, before we have it well in hand. www.adolphusward.net

No comments:

Post a Comment