Saturday, April 15, 2017

THOUGHTS ABOUT MY SOLO PERFORMANCE

THOUGHTS ABOUT MY PLANNED SOLO PERFORMANCE – not going to happen Thanks FACEBOOK for bringing memories back into focus. I did put together a solo performance with sketches of visuals, lights, and sound; a director would have enabled it to come to life. But that play will not be seen on any stage – at least not soon. The reason is caught up in the dispute between 99 Seat Theatres and my union, Actors’ Equity Association (AEA). In order for my show to be staged an Equity contract, requiring a minimum wage would be necessary – 99 Seaters have refused. I cannot work for nothing and ignore my union’s position – I don’t want to. I did a considerable amount of work for a 99 Seater under an old Equity agreement. That work gave me a lot of exposure. Love the theatre and its founders; but I can no longer work for nothing. The whole point of my solo performance was to promote and sell my trilogy of novels. My genre is Historical Black Family Fiction. The stories and characters are interesting and informing. I don’t need an equity contract to read from my books, with character voice, in front of college or university students. So like any creative person, I’ve reshaped my solo performance to a dramatic reading. All I need now is an invitation from college and university teachers and students, in the LA area, who have as interest in stories related to the African American experience. Go to my new website for more about my works and me. www.adolphusward.net

No comments:

Post a Comment